|| Amiga Emulator FAQ
Workbench 4.1 FE Menus
- Update Software
- Opens AmiUpdate tool to update software available in the store.
- Backdrop (B)
- This option specifies whether Workbench is displayed within a Window or a
backdrop screen. If ticked then the screen is a backdrop. To save this, clear
any windows and Use Icons, Snapshot, Window.
- Execute Command (E)
- This option allows you to execute any AmigaDOS command without having to start
up a Shell or CLI window. Enter the command you wish, with parameters and a window
will appear with the results. Click on Close Window gadget to remove the window.
- Open Volume
- Open one of a selection of available volumes in a new window.
- Redraw all
- This option redraws all the icons on screen that may have not been refreshed
due to badly programmed software. Hardly used these days.
- Update all
- This re-reads all mounted disks and opened drawers and redraws the entire display.
Useful if something has been changed via the Shell and not updated on the Workbench
- Last Message
- Repeats the last message displayed in the title bar on Workbench.
- Displays the version of Workbench and Kickstart you are using.
- Quit (Q)
- Shuts down Workbench only if all programs (esp. Commodities) have been closed
down. Will display a message like 'Cannot quit yet, there are x WB launched
program(s)' if there are some still running. Use Exchange to close down commodities.
Must start a Shell if you want to continue work after Quitting.
- New Drawer (N)
- Creates a new drawer (or directory) in the current selected window. Defaults
to 'Unnamed1'. You will be prompted to enter a new name.
- Open Parent
- Opens a window of the parent directory or drawer of the current window or
brings the existing parent window to the front.
- Close (K)
- Closes the current selected window.
- Re-reads the contents of the current active windows and re-draws all the icons.
- Select Contents (A)
- Selects all the icons in the current window. Useful after a clean up and before
- Clear Selection (Z)
- Un-selects any icons selected by mouse or the Select Contents option.
- Clean up by(.)
- Rearranges all the icons by Column, name, date, size or type into a neat order.
- Resize to fit.
- Resizes window to fit the screen.
- Includes two sub-menus: Window or All. Saves the position of a
window or a window and all its icons so that next time the window is opened the
icons appear in their new position.
- Includes two sub-menus: Only icons, All files, info file or Preview. Displays all files which have
icons and hides the remaining files or displays all files and hidden files are
given default icon pictures.
- Also display only the info files (if all files selected) or Previews of files
- View By
- This has four sub menus: Icon, Name, Date, Size. Allows you to display
files in a window by four methods. Icon displays in normal icon mode. Name, Date
and Size displays files in a list and sorted by the method chosen. A tick appears
by method selected.
- Find. (F)
- Open (O)
- This is used on a selected icon. Instead of double clicking on
an icon to show contents of a disk or drawer or run a program you
can select an icon with the pointer and Select Open to display or
- Copy (C)
- This open allows you to duplicate files and disks. To copy a file
select the icon and then select Copy. Another icon will appear
saying Copy_of_file or whatever, you can then move that file elsewhere
or Rename it.
- Rename (R)
- This option allows you to change the name of a disk, a drawer or
a file. Select the disk, drawer or file icon to rename, select rename,
and then type in the new name in the given requester.
- Information (I)
- This option displays details of a given disk, drawer or file.
Workbench has 5 types of workbench icons: Disk, Drawer, Trashcan,
Project and Tool. A Trashcan is a special drawer for use with the
'Empty Trash' feature to delete files. A Project is a data file and
a Tool is a Program. Info will display the type, size, stack size,
default file, comment and protection flags of a file.
- Snapshot (S)
- This saves the position of one or more icons to its new position.
- Unsnapshot (U)
- This removes the position information of an icon and allows Workbench to position the icon itself.
- Leave out (L)
- Allows an icon to be placed on the desktop and may be snapshot into place.
Allows faster access to a program or drawer than via other disks and drawers.
- Put Away (P)
- Returns left out icons back into their original location on disk.
- Open Parent
- Opens the windows of the parent folder of current folder.
- Delete (D)
- This is a delete function, to delete a file you would normally
drag and drop the file into the Trashcan drawer to empty later.
This option allows you to delete a file straight away. A requester
may appear to confirm deletion.
- Format Disk
- This option formats a disk for use by the Amiga. It splits
the disk into the right number of tracks/sectors and creates an
empty root directory. It can also automatically create a Trashcan
drawer. To use, select the disk to format and select Initialise.
- Empty Trash
- This option deletes all the files in a selected Trashcan drawer
of a disk. This feature is useful because you may want to delete a
file but you could change your mind and decide to keep it, all you
have to do is to drag the file out of the Trashcan back to its
original drawer or disk.
- Reset WB
- Resets Workbench, redraws the screen and re-reads mounted disks.
- User items
- It is possible for some programs to add it own menu items on this menu.
You can also add your own favourite items to this menu via third party
programs such as T.H.E.