|| Amiga Emulator FAQ
Workbench 2.1 Extras, Install disk etc.
- Tools Drawer
- Calculator - Program to work out arithmetic calculations
- Cmd - Redirects output to the printer to a file
- Colors - Sets colours for screens
- GraphicDump - Prints out graphics and pictures
- IconEdit - Icon editor
- InitPrinter - Initialises a printer
- KeyShow - Displays keyboard characters
- MEmacs - Text editor
- Printfiles - Prints text files
- Lacer - Used for video recording and genlocking
- ShowConfig - Displays system configuration
- Commodities Drawer
- AutoPoint - Activates windows by moving mouse over it
- Blanker - Screen saver
- ClickToFront - Quick way of bringing a window to front of screen
- FKey - Assigns commands to the Function keys
- NoCapsLock - Disables Caps Lock key
- CrossDos - Enables text filtering & translation from PC disks
- Exchange - Controls commodity programs
- Prefs Drawer
- Font - Sets default, screen and icon fonts
- IControl - Controls intuition functions for screens and icons
- Input - Define mouse and keyboard speeds
- Locale - Sets localization for country and language
- OverScan - Sets physical screen size
- Palette - Defines screen colours
- Pointer - Defines normal and busy pointer graphic
- Printer - Selects a printer
- PrinterGfx - Sets printer graphics settings
- PrinterPS - Postscript printer settins
- ScreenMode - Selects screen display
- Serial - Determines settings for RS232 port
- Sound - Settings for intuition sound
- Time - Sets system date and time
- WBPattern - Sets backdrop pattern for Workbench
- Storage Drawer
- DosDrivers - Various individual mountlists like PC0, PC1
- Keymaps - Keymap files for various different keyboards
- Printers - Printer drivers for printers
- Monitors - Monitor drivers
- T Drawer - temporary files
- version.number - Holds version number for Extras disk e.g. 38.35
- Install 2.1. Contains scripts to install or upgrade Workbench onto a hard disk
- Install Printers. Install printer drivers.
- Install languages. Install language files for localization
- HD Tools
- HDBackup. Backup your files from Hard disk to floppy disks.
- HDToolbox. Setup and partition the hard disk.
- BRU. Command line Backup program.
- S. Config files for BRU and HDBackup.
- HD Setup. Install scripts for setting up your HD partitions.
- Installer. Installer tool for install scripts.
- Hidden folders
This disk contains bitmap and Compugraphic (Bullet) fonts for use by Workbench
and application software.
- Fonts drawer
- Bitmap Fonts: Courier, diamond, emerald, garnet, helvetica, opal, ruby, sapphire, times,
- Compugraphic Fonts: CGTimes, CGTriumvirate, LetterGothic
- diskfont.library - Contains new version of library with CG support
Additional fonts can be downloaded from Aminet.
This feature was added from Workbench 2.1 to provide facilities to display
workbench and other applications in other languages.
This disk contains catalog, country and amigaguide help files for country
specific settings, languages and so on.
Usually programs will install their own catalogs and help files here. Some
programs can have catalogs provided seperately and will need to be installed
Improving Workbench 2.1
Workbench 2.1 has a lot of missing features, these can be added to the Workbench
from third party programs from PD sources such as Aminet.
a ) Magic Workbench
Replaces the standard four colour icons with more colourful 8 colour icons.
Replaces the standard icons with multi-colour 3d type icons.
c) Toolsdaemon and ToolManager
Toolsdaemon adds your favourite programs to the Tools menu for quick access.
ToolManager add programs to Tools also
the option of adding a Toolbar to the Workbench screen
d) Magic User Interface
Replaces Inutuition and Gadtools style windows with more powerful features with user-configurability.
Replaces the standard requester with a animated requester with graphics.
Replaces the standard Information window with a more informative and powerful
g) MCP or MCX
A multi-function commodity program that adds extra features to workbench.
Replaces the Workbench interface with a new improved version.
Replaces the standard menu system with improved menus with popup menus from the desktop instead of the top of the screen.
j) TTF and Postscript
New libraries which allow the use of more common TrueType and Postscript fonts than the standard Bitmap and Compugraphic fonts.
k) TCP/IP Networking
This will allow you to access to internet or talk to other computers on a
network. Typical programs include AmiTCP, Genesis and Miami.
l) MessyDos (MSH)
If you do not have CrossDos, then MSH will give you equivalent features to
access PC formatted disks.
Full replacement for CLI for AmigaOS.
Console handler replacement for CON: and RAW: devices.